PreCamp: Beginner’s Day — Friday, July 24
PreCamp is a hands-on session for those new to WordPress. Unlike WordCamp (Sat & Sun), which focuses on presentations by various speakers, PreCamp (Fri) is a do-it-yourself day.
Are you new to WordPress (or know someone who is) and want some hands-on support in setting up your website? PreCamp is designed to take you from a blank slate to a fully functioning website before you walk out the door. We provide almost everything* you need to get started – including three months of hosting for your site thanks to the generous sponsorship of SiteGround.
If you’re a beginner who is wondering if this is the right place for you – the answer is YES! We have an amazing team of experienced WordPress users, designers and developers that have donated their time to make this an incredible learning experience for you that will definitely bring results. You’ll be guided through the steps needed to get your first website up and running. And we have enough facilitators to step in and provide some individual support if you get confused along the way.
Want to be one of the lucky 50 attendees? Make sure you’ve signed up for Email updates (subscribe on right-hand sidebar) and we’ll notify you when tickets go on sale.
We look forward to meeting you at PreCamp!
*you will need to bring a laptop with wireless internet and administrative access/password, any images and content you will want on your website, and a willingness to learn through hands-on experience (a great sense of humor and willingness to laugh while you learn is appreciated – but not required.)
When, Where and How Much
Friday July 24th 8:30am-3pm
Registration, Internet Connections and Access to Webhosting is from 8:30am-9am
Website Creation is from 9:00am-3pm (lunch provided)
Tickets are an amazingly low price of $60 and includes access to all WordCamp sessions on Saturday and Sunday
(your facilitators charge way more than that per hour for their advice and you get it for free!; you get three months of hosting so you’ll have plenty of time to continue to enhance your website; you have support in implementing what you learn as you learn; and you’ll leave with not only a website but a growing list of resources to continue on your way.)
Day of PreCamp:
We’ll take you through:
- Initial settings and basic security measures (what you need to do first thing to ensure a clean site)
- Getting content on your website – basic pages used on most websites (Home, About, Contact, etc.); your first Post, how to use Categories (vs Tags) to group similar content
- Theme Selection for the “look” you want, Sidebars and Widgets, and Social Media connections with your website
- Plugins to enhance your websites functionality and appearance
- Attend WordCamp Sat-Sun July 25-26. At WordCamp you’ll be able to take your newly found expertise from PreCamp to new heights through engaging with fellow participants, listening to the speakers in four different Tracks and even get some of your personal questions answered at the Happiness Bar.
- Continue your learning with the resources you’ve been provided, join your local WordPress Meetup group, and most importantly – keep practicing and playing with your own website (experience is the best teacher)
************Notes From PreCamp************
Thanks to the amazing group of attendees that came to the 2015 Asheville PreCamp Event. Below is a link to the PowerPoint presentation that goes through all the steps that we walked through during the day. http://www.bigboomdesign.com/blog/video-help/wordpress-tutorials/asheville-precamp-2015-presentation-notes.html